I have recently been sued for making disparaging remarks about ShopperLocal, LLC the parent company of Register Tape Network. One of the things that ShopperLocal is alleging that I have falsely claimed that their product is ineffective for advertisers. A few things I know unequivocally:
- The referral letter they send reps to use are solicited inducements to justify discounts on renewals
- If you call the referral letters while the rep is visiting you will find that over 80% of the reviewers are no longer advertising with RTN / ShopperLocal
- I have seen many emails where customers are not happy with the product and do not want to renew
- I have seen many emails where customers want out of their contracts or want to know how soon they are over
- I have emails from customers saying they have gotten zero ROI
If you are contacted by reps with RTN / Register Tape Network and want to know more about the program take a look at their presentation, but know this there are half truths in the presentation, which will be covered in a later post. Verify claims and call a few advertisers on the receipts and referral letters they show you.
As far as pricing goes the individual reps can sell a full size ad for $150 per month and the shortest term they are allowed to sell is 6 months. You do not have to sign a one year contract despite the reps assertions.